5 Things How To Build Your Wardrobe

Ermenegildo Zegna

The everyday problem for most people, I mean man, I have nothing wear every morning. Well, this happened to me too. But I’ve been through trial and error. I was buy many things and wear everything. When I saw something nice and good, I think I want them and I bought it. But at the end I just wearing those pieces for once.

After all this time, when I was work at the magazine as a fashion editor for almost 8 years, I have my transformation. I know how to curated my wardrobe. But it is take a process, a long journey that finally I found my character. What’s good on me and what’s failed for me.

Now, I can share to you a little trick and tips that I found on my wardrobe journey.

1.     Character
Find your inner self. Ask yourself. Am I a sporty person? Or preppy person? Or grungy  gentleman? Or a conventional man? You will find the answer after look up what you like to wear. After you find the answer, look to your wardrobe selections, then separate clothes what you will to wear in the future and what you will not wearing. This is the easiest way to know your character. I suggest just be yourself, don’t try to look like anyone else. You can be inspired but don’t copy. It’s better be an authentic rather be a copycat.  


2.     Color Coordination
Another question is what is your most favorite color? Think only one color. And as a man, it’s pretty simple to pick a color. if your color are a monochromatic color sort like grey, white, black or navy blue it is easy for you to build the whole wardrobe. But if you like red, yellow, green, purple, bright blue or orange you have to mix them with monochrome tone. Let the monochrome tone dominated on your wardrobe selection, and your favorite color can pop out and stunning while you wearing them with the monochrome tone. Examples, white shirt, grey chinos, black lace-up and belt, and red tie. Or red t-shirt, blue denim, blue sneakers and white caps.  


3.     Accessories
Do not put too much accessories to your total look. The maximum amount of accessories man can wear only 3 pieces. Remember, three pieces. Men not like woman can wearing lots of jewelry (at the same time) like necklace, earing, ring, wrist band, head band, hand bags, and others. But man had watches, ring, cufflink, necklace (optional), wrist band, ties, glasses and hat. And you can’t wear them all together at the same time. Pick the accessories that present your character. Look no. 1.   


4.     Details
Pay attention to the details. Like the size and length of your trousers, the shirt collar, the suit variant, hair, socks and shoes. Shoes are the crucial thing on the way you dress. Try to fit the shoes with pants. They should be complementing to each other. Including socks. Don’t cover your shoes with the length of your pants, or tuck your pants inside your ankle boots. It’s a tropical country, do not ugly-fying your look.

Dries van Noten

5.     Curated
      This is the hardest part of the building your range selection of wardrobe. If you already know your character and your color, this going to be easier. You have to know what’s good but not your style/ character, what’s good but it’s your style. There is a lot of good stuff out there, but are you sure it’s for you? Are you sure it’s your color? You have to learn to make a difference about what you like and what you need. There is a big different between a good stuff and your style. 

      Looking good is not about expensive things or high end label. It is something about mixing your wardrobe one to another. Having fun with your clothes, go crazy, trial and error, open your mind. Wear pink clothes or socks. Open GQ.com, browsing your Instagram or pinterest, ask your friend, search for the reference. But it doesn’t mean you can go look like a clown. Use your brain and be smart. Trust me, good appearance will bring lots of positive vibe around you.              


Photo courtesy of Ermenegildo Zegna, Dries VanNoten, Getty Images, Pixabay, Pitti Imagine

Comments

Popular Posts